What Students Learn?
After completing the program, students will know:
- How to discover what they are good at doing and how to turn it into a socially responsible business idea.
- How to write a business plan.
- How to raise funds to finance the business.
- How to invest this money to pay for the business’s start-up costs.
- How to operate the business.
- The notion of risk and return.
- That ethical decisions are good decisions.
- That even though some businesses will be unsuccessful, this doesn’t make the student a failure.
- Why paying taxes is essential to a well-functioning democracy.
- How elected officials decide how to spend the tax money that a business has paid to the government.
- The three main types of “for-profit” business entities.
- That there are businesses whose purpose is to improve the community; these are social enterprise businesses.
- The importance of oral and written presentation skills to “sell” the idea to prospective funders.